The Christian Science church (officially The Church of Christ, Scientist) was initiated in 1879 “to commemorate the word and works of our Master, which should reinstate primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing.” (Manual of The Mother Church, The First Church Of Christ, Scientist, In Boston, Massachusetts by Mary Baker Eddy).
Since its beginnings in Boston, Massachusetts, it has become a global movement with over 2,000 churches in 70 countries.
World Headquarters (a.k.a. The Mother Church)
The Christian Science World Headquarters (a.k.a. The Mother Church) is located in Boston, Massachusetts. The complex is located on 14-acres between Boston’s Back Bay and South End neighborhoods. Central is an 80-foot diameter circular spray fountain and 700-foot long reflecting pool, surrounded by the iconic steeple of the Neo-Romanesque Mother Church (original) and the Neo-Byzantine dome of The Mother Church Extension, the 28-story church administration building, the Sunday School building, the Christian Science Publishing Society (which includes the offices of The Christian Science Monitor), and the Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity (including the “Mapparium” — an enclosed globe-shaped-room entirely of stained glass depicting the world globe).
A Sampling of World-Wide Activities
- Christian Science College Organizations
- Youth summits (see www.TMCYouth.com)
- Engaging with an online community
- Online chats, blogs, pod casts (e.g. TMCYouth.com and jsh.christianscience.com and christianscience.com)
- Daily Lift http://christianscience.com/christian-healing-today/daily-lift/
- Reading Rooms (Owned and operated by local Christian Science branches, each Reading Room is a community bookstore and center for exploring spirituality and healing).
- The Christian Science Publishing Society publishes (in various media and formats) the works of church-founder Mary Baker Eddy, “The Christian Science Monitor”, “The Christian Science Journal”, “The Christian Science Sentinel”, “The Herald of Christian Science” (multi-lingual periodical), “The Christian Science Quarterly Bible Lesson Sermon.”
- The Christian Science Board of Lectureship provides international speakers to present to the public talks on Christian Science. Included in these talks are clarifications of misconceptions about Christian Science and information about the discoverer and founder, Mary Baker Eddy.
- Mary Baker Eddy Library For the Betterment of Humanity
- USA Military Chaplain: The First Church of Christ, Scientist, trains and provides chaplains to the USA military as an opportunity for serving God, church, and country in an especially rewarding way.
Although not officially connected with the Christian Science World Headquarters, various Christian Science church members and groups have selflessly shared the Christ-spirit by setting up and administering schools in Africa, promoting peace and regional harmony with a Christian foundation. A few of these activities are listed below:
- Ngochoni Petals of Africa School, pre-K to 6th grade — Ngochoni, Kenya
- Sunrise of Africa School, Nairobi, Kenya
- Lovia Early Childhood Development and Care Center, Accra, Ghana, West Africa
- The Queens and Kings School, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria